12.9.08

Al-Ghoussein, Tarek Talat

"Sit down. Or I'll turn violent," the 47 year old Palestinian artist-photographer Tarek insists.

"No, you won't." I laugh, and try to pay for his bill again.

"Yes, I will. Don't you know, my people are very violent. We beat up women." He jokes, a snide reference to the stereotypical image of an Arab the Western media often portrays. I sit down anyway, amused by this man who has said he can't do an interview without a cookie, and who has snitched a bite of my beehoon.

A charmer definitely, Tarek has another side to him. And it shows in his photographs. Dark and thoughtful, dwelling into issues of identity. And I'm captivated, by both sides.

We continue to talk for a short while, even after I've ceased recording the conversation. About teaching, his works, Raymond Carver and Kafka. He recommends Carver's book What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.

Personally, I am drawn to the ideas behind Tarek's works, and the responses they've prompted, which include landing him a spot in the police station in Jordon. Talking to him was inspiring. And if you're interested to find out more about his photography, do spare a few minutes to read a well-written
article about him by Seth Thompson.

Well worth your time, I assure you.

3 comments:

.aralC said...

Glad u had such a great time interviewing Tarek! Sounds like a really pleasant and humorous encounter! lol (found you here thru the excel sheet of contacts Bertrand sent us way earlier btw)

huixian said...

claraaaa :)

absolutely wonderful to hear from you.
hope you're doing well! in school and otherwise!

catch up soon k.

Unknown said...

I am drawn to the ideas behind Tarek's works too, but I believe Tarek with his an Arab origin and westren background still away from the Arab shocking truth.