8.3.08

words


These days, I read everything except my readings. And write anything except academic essays. If this sounds familiar, perhaps you too, are well versed in the life of a professional student.

Maybe you are also, like me, the kind of student who misses deadlines (or meets them just in time), take ages to read and understand a paper, think books make hard pillows, and is convinced that the library is actually a very cold bedroom.

Don't be mistaken, I like where I am now. And am thankful for it. But come on, I bet you can relate to what I said in my previous paragraphs.

----------------------------------------------
On another note, a writer called Walter Benjamin has won me over with his book One Way Street and Other Writings recently. Was reading him just for fun. Here are some excerpts:

"Each morning the day lies like a fresh shirt on our bed; this incomparably fine, incomparably tightly woven tissue of pure prediction fits us perfectly. The happiness of the next twenty-four hours depends on our ability, on waking, to pick it up."

"Pilfering child. - Through the chink of the scarcely open larder door his hand advances like a lover through the night. Once at home in the darkness, it gropes towards sugar or almonds, sultanas or preserves. And as the lover, before kissing her, embraces his girl, his hand enjoys a tactile tryst with the comestibles before his mouth savours their sweetness. How inviting honey, heaps of currants, even rice yield to his hand. How passionate this meeting of two who have at last escaped the spoon."

"He who observes etiquette but objects to lying is like someone who dresses fashionably but wears no vest."

1 comment:

Mykel said...

And I do fieldwork in McDonald's~